Sunday 17 May 2009

Day 10 when we did a whole lot of things

Yesterday was marked out as soon as we got up as John’s turn to get drunk and by the time bedtime came that was the case but our day in-between was pretty eventful….

Sean, at least I think it was Sean, had managed to get his hands on some free tickets for the Toronto FC game that afternoon and we got a phone call to pick them up from him at the game where he was working. All well and good however it was a four o’clock kick off and we needed to get the GO train to get there and so far we haven’t used this particular arm of the TTC (Toronto Transport Company) and actually at that point in time our sum knowledge of the Go train was that it left Mimico station at five to the hour every hour and also the general direction of the station, and that basically it. Also in the early afternoon we had to go see our new landlord and lady about paying our first and last month rent so we planned to go round there and then make our way for the five to two train to Exhibition Place where the BMO Field is situated. We set out at roughly one o’clock and started walking toward Wheatfield Ave our future home, we were well wrapped up as it was still as windy as it had been the last few days, jeans and jackets weather. In our supreme confidence of where we were going we went a slightly different way than normal and this was actually our undoing as we took a little longer than expected to find Wheatfield, by this time it had started spitting, big spits.

We got round to our new place and the couple were in cleaning, this was a happy sight as I never really described much about our place, I suppose we weren’t really in it long enough to really talk about it and I can go into more detail when we get there proper but one thing Natalie did say she was going to do when she moved in was to disinfect the place top to bottom so the fact that when we came around they were pulling everything out and wiping and dusting and cleaning behind was pretty good, well I thought so anyway, I think Natalie has her shopping list written already for the cleaning gear were going to need as of June! To be fair the last person to move out only did the day we saw or the day before at the earliest so they never had the chance to gut the place before showing it. Benefit of the doubt and all that.

So we paid our dues and left to catch the train, it was roughly about quarter to and we had zero chance of making the five to train, the rain at this point was very heavy and we decided that we would just get up to the Goose which is beside the station and have a beer and get the next one at five to three. In hindsight I have no idea why we thought that getting the five to two train was a good idea, the place wasn’t that far away and if we had got the earlier train we would have been at the football about 90 minutes before kick off! So anyway, we went for a wee beer and actually to dry off as by the time we made the front (actually the back) door of the pub it was absolutely tipping it down and we were soaked! We went in and ordered up a beer while I went into the bathroom and stripped to the waist and dried my tshirt in my hands with the hand dryer! Sitting in that pub that Saturday afternoon was unlike the Friday nights and also the Wednesday night we had been in previous, it wasn’t too busy and the only people in were auld codgers who must have requested the music selections. It was like the enchantment under the sea dance from Back to the Future, fifties classics! Well, they weren’t all classics, some were utter garbage.

A GO train, in fact THE GO train we were on

Anyway, I am probably going into too much detail and since this day goes on for another 12 hours I will skip over some details, we wnet and caught the next train which was a pretty straight forward deal, the rain had gone off by now thankfully as the BMO field is completely open and when we arrived we picked up our tickets, we were half an hour early so took in some of the entertainment outside, ball jugglers are always good fun.
I could type away countless differences between the football on show when the game kicked off and what I have watched all my life back home but I will keep that stuff for when I talk to my dad who may be the only person who would actually care! The thing I would point out is that it is a family orientated day out, lots of kids and even babies in our area of the ground and the songs sung weren’t the same sweary word filled (filth is what Natalie is whispering in my ear as I type) dittys I am used to back home. One song had piss in it, the rest were more kid friendly. Noone takes it up the arse and the referee at no point was refered to as a self abuser, in that I found the whole experience somewhat lacking! Natalie on the other hand liked that aspect and wants to go back! She may have a tought ime of that, the game we were at wasn’t capacity but I think that was due to weather, TFC (as the affectionately call themselves) sell out most matches and the tickets are expensive. Fingers crossed for more freebies! Tee hee.
Me at BMO, thats the away fans in the background
Natalie at the game

After the game we went round to the entrance to wait on Sean and his girlfriend Minotah who were both working at the game and would run us home. After everything calmed down and the crowds thinned Sean took us out onto the pitch which is just like the power league ones I strut my stuff on back home, sadly there was no balls around and I didn’t have the balls to ask for one so I never got to shoot into the nets and be like TFC god Danny Dichio (!) but Natalie got her picture taken on the pitch so that was an ok substitute. I wouldn’t have wanted to do a Diana Ross anyway.

Natalie on the hallowed turf of TFC!

Fast forward to night time, we were in the Goose, again! Drews brother John and his wife Rachael and their friends from Mississagua were coming down so we were in there. Pubs over here arent like pubs back home, we thought they were going to be but actually they arent, it may have been that because it was Victoria day weekend everyone was away but even still, it was dull. I should mention that at this point we were with Drew and Carol plus the Mississagua mob and Carols sister Jackie and her man Bill joined us too. We had a few drinks in the Goose then the night took a step on the wild side.

Drew and Carols friends were having a karaoke 40th birthday type house party thing and had invited us round, this seemed pretty cool to Natalie and I, it would be a laugh if nothing else, nothing could have prepared us for what we went too. First I should say that the people were actually really nice folks and I don’t have anything bad to say about them but they were seriously steaming! Having been pretty open to what we were going to and fully prepared to rip into my repertoire of karaoke hits but as soon as we stepped inside I bottled it and found myself pretty much trying to soak into wallpaper, the only problem was….there wasn’t any! They had been putting another level onto their house (an extension over here) and for whatever reason the work seemed to have came to a halt so the walls were bare, the floors too and in the corner of the room was a crackit uncle who thought he was Johnny Cash! We weren’t there long, had a few beers and headed.

From there we went onto Bills condo but I am yapping on a bit now so I will simply finish it up as it is and fill it up with photos, got back bout three though, and sent a text home, 8o‘clock in Killie after all so there must be someone up, unfortunately I was sleeping before a reply came in, I did only give approx 6 seconds though!


Check out my wee tiny bikers hat!

2 comments:

Big Red said...

I like how in the last picture it looks like a baby squid is coming out of your head!

ruud kerouac said...

I am a shoe in for a part in Hellboy 3